Sunday, July 12, 2020

Public Service Annoucement



     I've had a fabric bag for microwaving potatoes for years.   At first I was skeptical of the whole thing, but at the shop we sold thousands of kits to make them so I gave one a try.  Those bags work!  I've made several for family and friends and everyone loves them.  It really makes a difference in the texture of a baked potato that is cooked in a microwave.


     The bag is a bit damp after use, so I usually just let it dry out and pop it back in the drawer.  The next-to-the-last time I used it, dinner also included barbeque sauce.  Evidently some sauce ended up on the fabric potato bag that I didn't notice. The LAST time I used it that sauce got hot - really hot and caught the bag on fire!  I started those potatoes and walked back to my sewing room where I left my phone.  Luckily I didn't get distracted and returned to the kitchen to see my potatoes and bag in flames.



     I know there are stories about bags catching fire because metallic fabric was used or the wrong kind of batting was inside.  This was a well used bag.  It had zapped dozens and dozens of potatoes.  I can only assume that the sweet barbeque sauce was the culprit.  So this is my helpful hint in the form of a public service announcement:

WASH YOUR POTATO BAG

  If you don't have a potato bag, you should.  Below is a link to a video and printable instructions.  Just be sure to use cotton fabric (no metalic, cotton thread and cotton batting) and remember to wash the bag after use.  Guess what I am sewing today?



1 comment:

  1. I made my dad a potato bag. No metallic fabric, and I used the batting that was designed for the potato bags. The second time he used it, it caught on fire. I asked him if he washed it out after using it the first time and he said no. I can only assume that the potato starch got on the bag and that is what caught on fire.

    ReplyDelete