Saturday, February 13, 2021

Makin' it Easy

    Everyone loves to get something for free.  That is why fabric companies offer a free pattern for almost every fabric line produced.  Simply visit their website and download the instructions at absolutely no cost to you.  Then hopefully you will buy the featured line of fabric and put that free pattern to use.  

    A free pattern is not a gift, it is a sales tool.  I fall strictly on the side of "You get what you pay for" in the free pattern discussion.  I frequently warn people to look closely before beginning one of those projects.  If the image of the quilt was created digitally, as in on the computer, beware.  I can draw lots of designs on my laptop that you would go crazy trying to sew.  It is entirely possible that the free pattern you snagged off the internet was created by someone that doesn't even sew.  Reputable companies have technical editors that write and/or review the instructions before offering them to the public.  It is still a good idea to look things over before you get too deep into a project.

    Take the Whimsy Daisical line from Blank Quilting, the free pattern on their website is adorable.  You can download the pattern here: whimsy-daisical-quilt. I have some leftover fabric from the Straight Out Of Line quilt, so I decided to check out the pattern and see if I could make a fun summer table runner using just three of the blocks in the quilt.

    I printed the pattern and did a quick read through of the materials and the instructions.  The first thing I noticed is that the materials list includes paper backed fusible web to bond the melon shapes to the background squares.  The list doesn't tell you how much you will need, it just says you need it.  That makes sense because the fabric company doesn't promote a specific brand of fusible, so they don't know how wide the one you choose will be.  Remember, these instructions are free,

    Those flower shapes made from the melons are surrounded by half square rectangles.  The instructions tell you to foundation paper piece those.  Simply make 48 copies of the foundation page.  For this project that method is easy to write and doesn't require a special tool, once again, free pattern.

    I'm a big proponent of having the right tool for the job, so I filmed a video showing how you would make those units using their method, and how you can make them using the right tool.  The tool is the Perfect Rectangle Ruler that I designed for Creative Grids.  Faster, easier, less waste, and no bias edges. You can watch the video on YouTube by clicking here: Half Square Rectangles.

    As long as I was set up, I filmed another video about the fusible process for the melon shapes.  I made a table runner, but the full size quilt requires 48 of the melons.  The instructions are basic, they tell you to trace the pattern on to the paper side of the fusible web.  What are the odds that you can trace 48 identical shapes?  Me too.  In the video you will see how easy it is to make a template.  Click here to watch the Fusible Applique video.

    I finished the series with the Machine Applique to discuss the difference between a machine zig-zag and a satin stitch.  The pattern suggests a zig-zag with a monofilament thread.  Most of us refer to it as "invisible".  There is nothing wrong with those instructions.  If I have to stitch around an applique, I prefer that the stitching shows.  I chose a tiny machine blanket stitch for my melon shapes.  I also used a fuchsia embroidery thread, just for fun.

    I made a few changes to the block to create my runner.  The center section measures 12".  The half square rectangles add another 6".  The block, without the sashing used in the quilt pattern, measures 18".  That is plenty wide enough for my kitchen island, so I omitted the sashing and stitched the segments together without sashing.
    That made it very important that the melons meet in the center.  I was glad that I had used the blanket stitch and not a heavy satin stitch.  The corners are bulky enough without all that added thread.  If you give this a try and aren't happy with that intersection, add a fun button to look like a flower center.  I had some purple ones on hand, just in case! 


I joined the three large blocks side-by-side, once again omitting the narrow sashing.  Then there was nothing left but quilting and binding.  I have a Handi Quilter with a ProStitcher so quilting wasn't a problem.  I selected an all over daisy pattern that came programmed into the machine.  The backing is white, because my counter top is white.  I didn't want to put a print on the back and risk having it shadow through the white background in the blocks.  The binding is a sold yellow/orange that came from my vast fabric stash.  Here is a photo of the runner on my island.  Not exactly a Valentine theme, but it adds a little pink to my kitchen for the holiday this weekend. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!  
Enjoy!

1 comment: