Monday, April 27, 2020

CHECK YOUR DNA


                     I have never taken one of those DNA tests like 23 and Me, but I am fairly confident that if I did it would come back saying that I am part squirrel.  I feel that must be true because the synonyms for squirrel are store, hoard, and collector.  I don't think I am in danger of being featured on an A&E program like Hoarders, but I do have a large "collection".  If you asked me what I collect, I would have to say the answer is fabric scraps.
               To be considered a “collector” you must gather from a variety of sources.  I certainly generate scraps from my own assortment of projects, and I curate them from friends.  I have also stood in a 10,000 sq. ft. quilt shop that is owned by a good friend and been offered anything off the shelf.  I turn down that offer in exchange for a garbage bag of scraps.  It is those odd pieces that hold so much promise.  Scrap quilts fascinate me.  To make them the way I like to see them made, with coordinated scraps, you absolutely must become a collector.  Justification for my obsession.

Hoard seems like a severe term in reference to my fabric collection.  After all I do USE those pieces to earn a living.  To be truthful I also must admit that I hold on to some of those pieces, refusing to use them.  Because if I did, they would be gone.  I once owned a shoebox clearly marked “Scraps – Too Small to Use”.  If that means I have a problem, I can live with that. 
Something had to be done to get my scraps in order.  Quick reality check: If this is your sewing space, we probably can't be friends.  Too much organization stifles my creativity.


This week I tackled the storage part of my squirrel issues.  I don't know how you store your collection.  I have always enjoyed wallowing in mine.  Previously I owned a huge basket into which all fabric pieces were tossed.  When starting a scrap project, I would dump a mound of fabric on the floor, surround myself and start sorting until the piles inspired me.  It is wonderfully creative, but not very efficient.  Especially for an easily distracted squirrel.  Ohh, look at that…..

With every nook and cranny exploding with pieces of fabric, I decided to tackle the batiks first.  After a few hours of sorting and a hefty investment in small laundry baskets, these gems now live under my Amara.  Aren’t they beautiful?  Before you start questioning my definition of “scrap” any fat quarter with a piece cut from it constitutes a scrap in my book.  Really small pieces are in a mixed basket under my sewing table.  I also chose to use baskets instead of bins with lids because I work with fabric every single day.  I did not want them stored, I wanted them accessible. 

The blue quilt in the photo that is ready to be loaded into my Amara is made with my Crazier Eights templates using Debbie Maddy’s Shibori fabric line from Moda.  It could have been made from 10” squares, but it really was made from scraps.  I actually bought the scraps from Debbie instead of buying a layer cake to make the quilt! 
The plan is to add another row of baskets behind the batiks and duplicate the sorting of regular cotton fabrics.  I will add additional baskets for Christmas scraps and novelty prints at some point.  Right now I can’t wait to play with those batiks!



4 comments:

  1. I remember that huge basket that you kept in the back room at the store! I still have a bunch of pieces that I found while spelunking in that basket. They come in really handy when I'm looking for just the right color for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quilts are scrap. I am currently working on too, but I feel that all I do is generate more scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your works
    9th class notes
    http://notes.com.pk/category/notes/9th-class-notes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice nice posts
    9th class notes
    http://notes.com.pk/category/notes/9th-class-notes/

    ReplyDelete