Monday, January 4, 2021

WRAP IT UP

      If you have followed the thread of my Abby's Treasures quilt from the beginning, you may remember that part of the "challenge" of this project is to complete the project in 30 days.  That requirement weighed heavily on my border decision.  In "design mode" my thoughts went to a nice wide, 6" - 8", border of the mottled tan fabric followed by 2 more rows of the rectangles used in the sashing.  Jaftex was happy to allow me to add a narrow black border both inside and outside to add that sparkle that I thought would make the fabrics shine.  

     Unfortunately, in my effort to add more light to the quilt, that big wide tan border was too much light and looked like an afterthought.  A gorgeous hand applique border would have solved that problem beautifully.  Did I mention the 30 day time frame?  I am capable of hand applique, but I find it takes me a minimum of 3 years to contemplate the design and another 5 or 6 to complete the process.  I nixed the border, but I still think it would be stunning.

     

     The decision to not add a border meant that the top was essentially finished, it just needed to be quilted and bound.  Jaftex doesn't really require that the Brand Ambassadors quilt and bind the projects, but if you are going to do a job for someone, I believe it should be a job well done.  To make the quilting process super easy, I have a Handi Quilter longarm machine, with a ProStitcher, so quilting a throw size quilt isn't really an imposition.  I might not have been so keen to offer up a completed project if I had to quilt the project without my longarm. 😉 I absolutely LOVE my Amara.  


     I chose a fall leaf pattern and a variegated thread in shades of tan for the quilting.  It is an all over edge to edge design.  The ProStitcher (the computer that runs the machine) adjusts the quilting pattern to the size of my quilt.  After programing the specifics, the machine does it's thing.  I just roll and tell it where to start the next row.  Owning a Handi Quilter for your personal use is total luxury, and in my mind worth every penny, and trust me that is lots and lots of pennies!
     The quilt was quilted and ready for binding just before Christmas.  I spent a lovely long evening snuggled under the quilt, hand stitching the binding in place.  The binding was made from the green diagonal stripe that I had set aside at the very beginning.  I machine stitched it to the front of the quilt, folded it over the raw edge and stitched it in place on the back by hand.  I could have done the whole process by machine.  The truth is, I like to hand stitch binding. 

     My last step in the process was to take a few photos, both a flat shot and a style shot.  That is when the whole process came to a screeching halt.  This quilt says "fall" to me.  That season is well past.  It says "snuggled in front of a fire".  Our unused fireplace is too contemporary.  I considered outdoor locations.  I live in Florida, there are palm trees everywhere.  I finally gave up and used my kitchen table for the style shot.  

     Here you have it, Abby's Treasures by Missie Carpenter for Blank Quilting.  You can find it in a quilt shop near you!  I hope you enjoyed following the process.





1 comment: