Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Working On The Chain Gang

     

     Now that the Abby's Treasures blocks are complete it is time to put them together with some scrappy sashing.  I had the idea for a scrappy sashing from the very beginning so as I pressed and cut the fat quarters of fabric I went ahead and cut strips into 2 1/2" squares.  Piles and piles of squares.


     I spent a good part of my weekend chain piecing squares into random groups of six so that each strip would fit the 12" blocks.  The plan was to add a random fabric square as the cornerstone as I  stitched the sashing strips together with the blocks.


       Ta-da!  All cut, sewn and pressed.  One small problem.... I didn't like the single row of sashing.  Too many 2" squares in the sashing and in the block.  Not enough interest. I also thought a single row of sashing looked.... wimpy.  So I doubled it.  Two rows of sashing blocks gave the quilt the random scrappy look that I was after, but 4 inches of sashing was just too wide.  So I cut them down!  I used the 3 1/2" by 12 1/2" Quick Trim & Circle Ruler.  I placed the center line on the ruler on the center seam of the strip set and cut 1/2" off each side.  Instant 3" sashing made with rectangles!  Well "instant" in the same way that someone becomes an "overnight" success.  I had to make twice as many of the sashing strips and then cut them down.

     
     I also decided on a random square of background fabric for the cornerstones in the sashing, adding more light fabric to the quilt.  I am pleased with the secondary pattern, the square around the cornerstone, that the sashing forms.  Looking good!

     Now the top is hanging on my design wall while I contemplate borders.  I could call it a day and simply quilt and bind the top at this stage, but right now, at this very minute, I really feel that this quilt deserves a nice border.  I may change my mind after living with it for a few days.  "Done" is a pretty good feeling.  

     So far I have followed the Jaftex Brand Ambassador "rules" and used the fabrics they provided.  Adding a border might make me go rogue.  One thing I do know, if it gets a border the first thing I will add is a narrow black border to really make those fabrics pop.  After that.... who knows?  Stay tuned!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment